Thursday, June 7, 2007

The Killer Angels


I am currently three fourths of the way through an amazingly well written historical-fiction novel called The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara. It is a story through the eyes of both the Union and Southern Army during the Battle of Gettysburg during the Civil War. Shaara gives a factual yet personal view of the battle itself as well as insight into the causes and effects of the Civil War.
There is a particular passage that had a personal meaning for me. (Keep in mind my entire family is from Virginia and fought in the Civil War on the side of the South and that my Grandmother married a preacher from Virginia.) "'Southern women like their men religious and a little mad. That's why they fall in love with preachers.'" (132) Spoken by one of the generals on the side of the South, General Longstreet, a wise and observant man.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If that quote is true...am I qualified???
--Christian