Thursday, July 19, 2007

Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury


I went to the library with my Mommy on Tuesday and while we were walking through she saw that there was a new book out by Ray Bradbury that was a sequel to "Dandelion Wine". The only Bradbury book I had ever read was "Fahrenheit 451" and I loved it so she recommended I read "Dandelion Wine". We found a collection of his stories and after I finished "Dandelion Wine" I was very... confuddled. I know thats not a "real" word but its the best I can come up with to describe what I was thinking when I was done.
Bradbury is an exceptional author as anyone who had read anything by him knows. The incite he has into his characters no matter what age or gender or background they are is amazing and his use of language makes me wonder how anyone can come up with this stuff.
Here are a few passages from "Dandelion Wine" that made me stop and marvel at all that is Ray Bradbury:

"Douglas shut his eyes and saw two idiot suns dancing on the reverse side of the pinkly translucent lids." (pg 218).

"Doug did not ask the others. Already the trains were chanting and he saw their faces drifting off on back observation platforms, or pressed to windows. One by one they slid away. And then the empty track and the summer sky and himself on another train run in another direction." (pg 213).

To convey emotions and tiny occurrences like that is astounding. There aren't any words to describe the way Ray Bradbury uses his.

1 comment:

Matt said...

In addition to being a talented author Bradbury was a certifiable nutjob. After visiting Disneyland he wanted Walt Disney to run for Mayor of Los Angeles so that he reform the city in the image of Disneyland.